We all know the feeling when tech goes off the rails and you need help. Can you get reliable IT support in a timely manner? Is a technician available to get my PC, Mac, and AV equipment running again? In March, I shared the work we’d be doing to reinvent the IT service model (https://it.mines.edu/blog-it-supports-a-new-way/) at Mines.
I’m delighted to share that our new IT support model is in place. If you need urgent IT support, you can now call xHELP from any campus telephone. You can also submit a ticket or live chat with us at helpcenter.mines.edu.
- The former MSC (Mines Service Center) is now the IT Service Desk and is open with extended hours from 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- By shifting existing positions within IT, we hired full-time technical Service Desk Support Engineers who will respond to tickets and chats while answering the phones at xHELP (303-278-4357).
- Our technicians solve most issues over the phone or chat by listening to your technical issue and talking you through a solution.
- The technicians, if needed and with your permission, can remote into your computer to assist.
- For those issues that require in-person support, full-time IT Service Desk staff will dispatch our Deskside Support Engineers to your location to resolve your issue.
- A new IT Service Desk phone system routes incoming calls more efficiently and gathers support metrics that we will use to improve over time.
- We have also implemented a clear escalation path to Peter Estacio, the manager of the IT Service Desk. Peter can be reached at email@example.com or 303-384-2800.
Mines students will supplement our full-time employees, providing them with valuable employment experience and allowing them to solve issues within their skill range. This team approach to solving problems and innovating to achieve better customer outcomes will drive us toward continuous improvement.
Your input is valued and can be shared directly with me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Andrew, CIO (Chief Information Officer)